Science Academy

Thursday, July 12, 2012
Today I attended day 2 of a 3 day science academy.  The 1st day we spent a lot time talking about why science is important and looking at different elements of the curriculum.  It was important stuff but just not as exciting as playing with the science toys.  Today we spent our day working through energy stations for K-3.  I’m exhausted but I came away with a lot of great ideas.  One station I really enjoyed was a kindergarten activity.  To practice exploring sound energy we shook the different plastic eggs and then guessed what was inside each.  We then placed the egg on top of the appropriate item in the ice tray. I think if I modify this one for 3rd grade I’ll use an egg carton instead.

Another one of my favorite stations was also geared towards kindergarten (I’m starting to notice a pattern here!).  We explored heat energy by melting crayons with a hair dryer.  This activity reminded me of some of the crafts I’ve seen on Pinterest lately.

Tomorrow’s focus will be forces and motion.  I can’t wait to see what they have in store for us.
Blogging tip -
If you haven’t read Jennifer’s post, Blogging Made Simpler, at Delighted in Second, you might want to drop by and check it out.  Blogger appears to be simple enough to use but it seems like I’m always fighting to get the formatting just the way I want it.  I decided to take Jennifer’s advice and this is my 1st post using Windows Live Writer.  Look at how perfectly aligned my pix are!  So far, so good!
Another New Super Blogger -

I’ve come across several more “New Super Bloggers” since my original post.  I’ve starting making a list of blogs I would like to introduce you to.  Today I would like for you to meet Katie from Rock & Teach.  She has a great new blog and I was lucky enough to snag a free copy of her Fantastic Fractions pack.  YAY me!  When you get a chance, go check out her blog and welcome her to the neighborhood.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Science ideas! I confess that Science is a subject I have to really work on. Thanks for sharing!
    Leah
    Learning 4 Keeps

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

Back to Top