Making Measurement Fun

Wednesday, February 6, 2013
My kids recently had the opportunity to practice area & perimeter in a fun way.  My friend Liz had the wonderful idea of creating Area and Perimeter Zoos.  After her class created this adorable zoo, I decided my class just HAD to make one too.



I really like how Liz arranged her animal habitats and added details to her zoo.



For this project, we cut up chart paper with 1 inch grid lines into random sizes. The kids had to find both the area and the perimeter of their piece of chart paper.  After that they were allowed to decorate their habitats and then add animal clip art.



Some of the kids put a great deal of effort into their pictures and many of them wanted to make extras.  Liz’s kids added a gift shop and restrooms.  You gotta love it!



My kids did an awesome job with their zoo.  For mine, I crumpled my butcher paper to give it a grassy texture and added crumpled brown paper for the fence.  I really think I need to add more detail to my zoo but this is what I have so far.



I had kids who loved this project so much they begged to work on an extra habitat during recess.  I was shocked!



Because of my kids’ enthusiasm, I’ll have to do this one again next year.



I am bothered by the fact that the measurements are not labeled. So, next year I think I’ll add a little more complexity to this activity by having my kids use scale.  I could have one square inch of paper equal 1 square foot or 2 square feet depending on the ability of my class.

I’d love to hear about the ways you make measurement fun in your class. 

1 comment:

  1. Super Cute!! We are doing area and perimeter too, so I am thrilled to attempt this!

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

Back to Top