Fractional Relationships

Monday, January 21, 2013
Don’t you love the word “rigorous”?  If you’re anything like me, you have heard that term enough for rigor mortis to set in!!  Anyway, in an effort to make my math instruction more rigorous I typed up this fractional math sort.  I gave this to my class towards the end of my fraction unit after we had discussed fractions on clocks, fractions in measurement, and fractional parts of a dollar.


I told my class to cut out the cards and sort them but I didn’t tell them how to sort them.  I wanted to see what would happen.  Not surprisingly, a lot of my kiddos put all the clocks into a group, all the coins in a group, etc.  I was amazed to see that many of my kids sorted them by the fractional relationship.  After some guidance, everyone had their cards sorted the correct way.  We then added the sorts to our math journals and the kids had to explain the relationships.



This was an enlightening activity.  Even though some of my students really had to stretch, I was glad we did this.  It is very rewarding to see some higher level thinking taking place.

If you would like to try this one with your class, you can download this freebie at my TpT store or by clicking on any of the pics above.

2 comments:

  1. This is so great! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be used by my class this year. I do it this way but without the graphics love it for a foldable

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

Back to Top