Science Tools & Safety

Friday, August 30, 2013
I survived my 1st week of school!  Yay!  I am so totally exhausted but we’re off to a great start so I’m happy.  I’m dropping in with a quick post to share some resources that I found that are great for starting off the year in science.

I’m not sure why, but last year I had trouble finding resources for science tools and lab safety.  Last year I showed this video from YouTube.  It’s really intended for older kids, but it worked for my 3rd graders.

I recently came across this one.  It’s kind of corny and made us laugh.  It’s sung to the tune of Call Me Maybe so the kids were able to get into it.  In fact, they begged me to show it over and over and over again.  I think I have it memorized now.

I also came across this pack from Christina Cottongame at TpT.  It is A.Ma.Zing.  To me, the best part is the adorable science tools foldable.  Plus, Christina includes lesson ideas for teaching about tools and safety, foldables we can add to our science notebooks, and handouts.  Click on any of the pictures below to check out this unit for yourself.



I hope you enjoy your long Labor Day weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Here is a safety idea you might want to add. It is extremely popular with my school. Rather than have students do a lab safety poster, check out http://sciencewear.net/cell-ebrate.html and have them design a "Cell-ebrate Science" safety apron to wear on lab day. (The examples shown are cells but I had my students use lab safety images) I put a hook on the wall for each period to hang their aprons. On lab day, the aprons are easy to remove and distribute, and students just hang them back on the hook as they leave. Use the sample parent letter available as a resource on the website for collecting money. The aprons are bulk price at only $6 and that includes the lettering! Students take their aprons home at the end of the year. They LOVE creating and wearing them! There are some examples at Facebook.com/ScienceWear when you look in the album called Aprons

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Blogger news

Blogroll

About

Back to Top